This is a classic French-Canadian breakfast spread. Made with pork, onions, spices and served over bread, this dish can be readily found in any Québec kitchen. While this spread can be served straight, many will enhance the flavour with mustard.
In English Canada this dish will typically get some confused looks. However, this dish should be judged with your tastebuds!
- ¾ pounds (340 g) of cubed lean pork
- ¾ cup (180 ml) of dry breadcrumbs
- ¾ cup (180 ml) of finely chopped onions
- 1 cup (235 ml) of water
- 1 cup (235 ml) of milk
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of salt
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) of white pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon (0.63 ml) of ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) of nutmeg
- Mix all ingredients into a pot. Bring to boil while stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer with a closed lid for an hour.
- Remove from heat then let cool for 15 minutes.
- Use a blender until you have a smooth texture.
- Let cool then refrigerate overnight.
Cretons by Evelyn Chartres is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.