Garlic Shepherds Pie
Pâté chinois is not Chinese cuisine. One theory is that dish was introduced to railway workers by Chinese cooks while building the railroad.
Ground Beef Layer
- 1 pound (450g) of lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon (15g) of butter
- 1 small onion (50g) chopped
- 3 to 6 cloves of garlic (5 – 10g) pressed
- ½ teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon of pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 19 fl oz (540 ml) of cream-style corn
- 1 pound (450g) of potatoes
- 1-2 tablespoons (15 – 30g) of garlic butter
- ¼ cup (60ml) of milk
- Pre-heat oven to 325°F (165°C).
- Melt butter in a pan then place ground beef, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook on medium-high until the meat is golden brown. Drain meat then layer on the bottom of a baking dish, pack it down lightly until layer is uniform.
- Pour cream corn into baking dish, cover ground beef layer uniformly. Be sure to leave a few tablespoons of cream corn for later.
- Peel and chop potatoes, then boil until they break apart by pressing against the side of the pot.
- Drain water then add garlic butter and milk. Mash until you have a smooth mixture. Spoon mashed potatoes into the baking dish, adding the third and final layer to the dish.
- Use remaining cream corn to cover the mashed potatoes. This will prevent the potatoes from drying up in the oven.
- Place in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes to heat up concerts. Comes out ready to serve.