Here is my recipe for a seafood chowder made up of scallops, shrimp, lobster and haddock. Sauté the ingredients first to infuse the meat with flavour then simmer to until it’s ready to serve. For an additional burst of flavour, top with some shredded cheddar cheese.
- 4 to 6 tablespoons (60 to 90 ml) of butter
- ½ cup (120 ml) of finely chopped onions
- 2 cloves (5-10 g) of crushed garlic
- ½ pound (225 g) of scallops
- ½ pound (225 g) of peeled jumbo shrimp
- ½ pound (225 g) of lobster meat
- ½ pound (225 g) of diced haddock
- 2 cups (470 ml) of coarsely diced potatoes
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of Herbes de Provence or Italian seasoning
- 1 quart (950 ml) of heavy cream
- ¼ cup (60 ml) of water
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of cornstarch
- ¼ cup (60 ml) of grated old cheddar per person (optional)
- Cook potatoes in the microwave for 3 to 5 minutes or until soft.
- Over medium heat add butter and melt.
- Add onions and garlic, sauté until the onions are transparent.
- Add shrimp, scallops, haddock and lobster and sauté. If necessary change the order so that the meats cook evenly.
- Add potatoes, mix and stir.
- Add milk then simmer under low heat for at least an hour.
- Mix water and cornstarch in a small bowl. Slowly blend into the soup to thicken, repeat if necessary to make it thicker.
- Pour into a bowl, cover in grated cheese and ready-to-serve. Makes about six bowls.