A tasty way to prepare raw nuts and an excellent addition at parties or large gatherings where guests tend to graze as they mingle. For additional flavour, roast your favourite nuts before getting them candied.
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of melted butter
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) water
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (180 ml) of brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) of salt
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) of nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) of ginger
- 1 egg white
- 3 cups (750 ml) of nuts
- In a small bowl mix the melted butter, water, and vanilla extract then set aside.
- In another small bowl mix salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger then set aside.
- In an oiled medium saucepan, add egg white and beat until light and frothy. Add first bowl and mix until you have a consistent finish then repeat with contents from the second bowl. Stir until you until you end up with a thick syrup.
- At low to medium-low heat add the nuts and stir to get a consistent finish. Maintain over heat and stir every five minutes or so until the coating begins to stick to the nuts. This process may take between 30 to 60 minutes.
- Lay out the contents of the saucepan on a non-stick surface. Try to separate the nuts in such a way that they will not clump together. Allow to cool.
- Package once the nuts have dried.