Lasagna and the multitude of variants seems to be a staple for many families. While this variant does not have feature a meat layer, it makes up for it with flavour. The sautéed mushrooms, spinach and Ricotta cheese come together to create a delicious ready-to-serve meal!
This recipe feeds 4 to 6 people.
- 8 to 12 of Lasagna noodles
- 1 cup (235 ml) of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 10 fluid ounces (285 ml) of canned mushrooms (drained)
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) of cumin
- ½ cup (120 ml) of finely chopped onions
- ½ cup (120 ml) of chopped roasted red pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic (5-10 g) pressed
- 22 fluid ounces (640 ml) of diced tomatoes (drained)
- 8 fluid ounces (250 ml) of tomato sauce (divided)
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) of Italian seasoning
- 16 ounces (450 g) of Ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup (60 ml) of grated parmesan cheese
- 2 large egg whites
- 4 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
- 5 ounces (140 mg) of chopped spinach.
- Prepare noodles according to package instructions. Drain and rinse before setting aside.
- Using a well-oiled skillet add mushrooms and cumin. Sauté under medium-heat until mushrooms begin to brown.
- Add onions, red pepper and garlic to the skillet. Sauté until onions are transparent.
- Add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce to the skillet. Save 2 teaspoons (30 ml) for later.
- Add Italian Seasoning and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Carefully drain spinach and add to a large bowl.
- Add ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, egg whites, bread crumbs to the bowl.
- Mix until you have a consistent finish at set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Use remaining two tablespoons (30 ml) of tomato sauce to coat the bottom of stoneware casserole dish or pan.
- Layer three noodles at the bottom making sure they overlap slightly. Cover with half of the cheese layer.
- Layers three noodles to they run perpendicular to the earlier layer, ensuring they overlap. Cover with half of the sauce layer.
- Repeat previous two steps to make up remaining layers.
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese then place in the oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes, remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Cut into appropriately sized slices. Ready-to-serve.