Sweet Red Onion Jam
I usually serve this up as a snack, mixing an aged cheddar, feta, or blue cheese and serving it atop a Grissol roasted baguettes (pictured).
- 24 ounces (700 g) of minced red onions (approximately 3 large)
- 3½ ounces (100 g) of butter
- 5 ounces (150 g) of sugar
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) of salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of pepper
- ½ cup (100 ml) of red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons (40 ml) of blackcurrant liqueur or port wine
- 1 cup (200 ml) of red wine
- Finely chop the onions. For speed use a food processor or for a smooth texture use a blender to get the desired consistency.
- In a deep pan, set stove on medium and melt butter.
- Reduce heat to low. Place onions in pan, mix and then allow the onions to sweat. Heat should just be below the point where the onions bubble over.
- Add salt, pepper and sugar to the pan. Stir until you have a consistent mixture.
- Moisten with red wine vinegar and blackcurrant liqueur. Mix thoroughly.
- Add in red wine and mix.
- Reduce near low heat and reduce the mixture until you have the desired consistency. This step will take several hours, so remember to mix occasionally.
- Let cool then place contents in the fridge until ready to serve.