Here is my recipe for scalloped potatoes. My take on this recipe adds garlic, parmesan, and cheddar cheese to the recipe to infuse it with a distinctive flavour. This recipe is enough for four servings and can be easily scaled up to feed more.
- 1 pound (450 g) of potatoes
- ½ cup (120 ml) of finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of butter
- 2 cloves (5-10 g) of crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of flour
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 can (355 ml) of evaporated milk
- ½ cup (120 ml) of shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Peel and then cut potatoes into thin slices.
- In a greased stoneware pot, layer sliced potatoes. Leave some gaps and sprinkle a part of the chopped onions over reach layer.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat melt butter. Add garlic and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add flour and whisk until you have a consistent finish. Pour in evaporated milk while stirring constantly. Add parmesan cheese, sauce will remain on heat until cheese is melted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and pour into the stoneware pot. Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 60 minutes covered. Remove lid and bake for another 20 to 30 minutes until top is a golden brown.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.