This recipe can be heavily varied based on the type of pasta sauce used. I typically opt for a four-cheese or spinach pasta sauce, both variants are crowd pleasers!
- 1 pound (450 g) of Italian Sausage
- 1 pound (450 g) of potatoes
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of garlic butter
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of cumin
- 10 fluid ounces (285 g) of sliced mushrooms
- 3 ounces (85 g) of diced onions
- 3 ounces (85 g) of diced red peppers
- 22 fluid ounces (650 g) of pasta sauce
- 6 ounces (170 g) of thawed snow peas
- Cook and slice up the sausage. I typically use an outdoor grill to enhance the flavour.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into ¼ inch cubes (0.6 cm). Rinse then heat in the microwave until the potatoes have begun to soften for approximately 3 minutes (halved).
- In a 8.75 inch skillet (22 cm) melt butter on medium heat. Add sliced mushrooms and cumin. Sauté until mushrooms are a golden brown. When done set aside.
- In a well-oiled 3.5 quart (3.3 l) sauté pan, cook onions and red peppers until onions become transparent.
- Add potatoes and continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add sausage, mushrooms and pasta sausage. Reduce heat to low/medium-low and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Add snow peas then allow to heat. Ready to serve.
- Optionally place individual portions into a pot of stoneware then cover in mozzarella cheese. Heat in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes at 350°F (180°C).
Tuscan Sausage by Evelyn Chartres is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.