Beets were a frequent side-dish at family gatherings. Their distinctive red colouring and juice made them easy to spot. This recipe adds sugar, vinegar, and cornstarch to transform this side into something akin to a dessert.
If you were on the fence between loving and hating beets, this recipe may very well have you embracing this treat!
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) of water
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of cornstarch
- 14 fluid ounces (400 ml) of canned beets (drained)
- ½ cup (120 ml) of white vinegar
- 1 cup (235 ml) of white sugar
- In a small bowl mix water and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan on high heat, add vinegar and sugar. Bring to a simmer. Stir frequently until sugar dissolves.
- Set heat to medium Add beets. Heat for approximately 5 to 10 minutes to allow for the beets to warm throughout. Stir occasionally.
- Add cornstarch mixture to the beets. Continue to heat, stirring until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat, beets are ready-to-serve.