This dish features a chilled creamy base with a caramelized top. While easy to make, it requires timing since you have to refrigerate the dish prior to serving. It also gives you a reason to go out and get a culinary torch!
- 5 large egg yolks
- 3½ ounces (100 g) of sugar
- 17 fluid ounces (500 ml) of whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons (20 ml) of brown sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 215°F (100°C).
- In a bowl whisk egg yolks and sugar until mixture whitens and is frothy.
- Add vanilla extract and cream to the bowl while whisking contents vigorously.
- Pour the cream into 4 stoneware cups. Bake in oven for about an hour.
- Let stoneware cool to room temperature then place in the fridge. Leave for 2 hours or however long it takes for contents to gel.
- When ready to serve, pull from fridge, cover with approximately 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of brown sugar then caramelize top using a butane torch.
Crème Brûlée by Evelyn Chartres is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.