A quick and easy meal to prepare based loosely on Asian cuisine. The Worcestershire sauce adds a bit of zing and cuts down on the salt. This dish is best served over rice.
- 1 pound (450 g) of lean ground beef
- 5 cloves (10 g) of pressed garlic
- ¼ cup (60 ml) of onions chopped
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) of ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of sesame oil
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) of light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) of crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoon (30 ml) of cornstarch
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) of soy sauce
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) of Worcestershire sauce
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) cup water
- 2 cups (500 ml) of broccoli florets cut into small pieces
- 4 cups (1000 ml) of hot cooked rice
- Combine garlic, onions, ginger in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine brown sugar, crushed red pepper, and cornstarch in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine soy, Worcestershire, and water in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cook ground beef over medium heat. Break apart meat into small pieces until browned. Dain any excess fat.
- Add the bowl of garlic, onions, and ginger. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add sesame oil and sauté until onions are transparent.
- Add the bowl of sugar, red pepper, and cornstarch. Mix until you have a consistent finish.
- Add the bowl of sauce, and broccoli. Cook until the sauce thickens.
- Serve atop some rice.
Beef and Broccoli Bowl by Evelyn Chartres is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.