- 19 ounces (550 g) of potatoes peeled and cubed
- 3 leeks (approximately 750 g)
- 8 ounces (250 g) of uncooked bacon
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of butter (separated)
- 2 cloves garlic (5-10 g) pressed
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of salt
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) of pepper
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of Italian seasoning (optional)
- 4 cups (940 ml) of chicken broth
- 2 cups (470 ml) of cream
- ¼ cup (60 ml) of shredded cheddar cheese (per bowl)
- Cut leeks lengthwise then chop into ½ inch (1.25 cm) pieces. In cool water, separate leeks into individual layers to clean. Remove from water and leave in a colander to dry.
- With a large pot (approximately 7.5 litres) melt 2 tablespoons (30 ml) on medium heat.
- Cut bacon strips into ½ inch (1.25 cm) pieces then drop into the pot. Cook bacon until it browns.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of butter then add potatoes and garlic into the pot. Sauté for about five minutes. (Optional) Add Italian seasoning.
- Add leeks then cook for approximately 5 minutes. Leeks will decrease in volume considerably during this time.
- Pour in chicken broth, bring to a boil then simmer on low until potatoes are soft (approximately an hour).
- Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes before pouring in cream. Replace it on low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Fill a bowl then cover in shredded cheese.
- Makes roughly eight bowls.
Creamy Bacon Leek Soup by Evelyn Chartres is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.