This recipe features a creamy finish without the need for cream or milk. Cover with grated old cheddar to give the soup that extra kick!
- 18 ounces (500-575 g) of chopped broccoli
- 11 ounces (300 g) of chopped potatoes
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of butter
- 4 ounces (115 g) of onions
- 1 clove (5-10 g) of garlic
- 30 fluid ounces (900 ml) of chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) of pepper
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) of cumin
- ¼ cup (60 ml) of grated old cheddar (per person)
- Over medium heat add oil and butter. Heat until the butter has melted.
- Add onions and garlic, sauté until the onions are transparent.
- Add broth, broccoli, potatoes, pepper and cumin then stir.
- Bring to a boil then drop to low heat to simmer. Stir occasionally for about 25 minutes or until potatoes easily break apart.
- Remove from heat for 5 to 10 minutes to cool. Use a blender or mixer to break-down broccoli and potatoes until you have a creamy finish.
- Heat on low until soup is hot.
- Pour into a bowl, cover in grated cheese and ready to serve. Makes about six bowls.