Haddock au Gratin
- 1¼ pound (575 g) of fillets of haddock
- ¼ cup (60 ml) and 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of butter
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) or 1½ ounces (45 g) of fine chopped onions
- 2 cloves (5-10 g) of pressed garlic
- ⅛ teaspoon (0.625 ml) of cumin
- 5 cups (1,200 ml) or about 12 ounces (340 g) of old cheddar cheese (divided)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of flour
- 1 cup (235 ml) of milk
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) of Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) of pepper
- ½ cup (120 ml) of Panko breadcrumbs
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Thaw and pat dry fish fillets.
- In a greased 12×9 inch casserole dish, line bottom with fillets.
- In a small pan melt 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of butter over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic and cumin. Sauté until onions are transparent.
- Spread sautéed onions and garlic over fillets.
- Shred cheddar cheese and set aside.
- Use a 1.5 quart (1.4 l) saucepan on medium heat; melt butter then add flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- While stirring, add milk gradually and make sure there are no lumps.
- Gradually add three cups (700 ml) of cheese to the saucepan. Continue stirring to integrate the cheese.
- Add Italian seasoning and pepper to sauce. Stir then remove from heat.
- Cover fish fillets with cheese sauce, sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Place in oven and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese has browned. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Aiglefin au Gratin by Evelyn Chartres is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.