This is an amalgamation of dishes from different cultures. This recipe combines tourtières which are typically French Canadian and pierogies which are of Eastern European origin. What you end up with are bite-sized cheesy meat pie served as a main or as a side.
- 2 cups (470 ml) of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of salt
- 1 large egg beaten
- ⅔ cup (160 ml) of ice-cold water
- 1 cup (235 ml) of tourtiere meat
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) of shredded cheddar cheese
- In a medium-sized bowl mix the first four ingredients. Knead the dough, adding flour as necessary until the dough can be handled.
- On a floured surface, place dough, flatten and cut into 10 cm diameter circles.
- On each piece add 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of cheddar and 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of tourtiere meat. Fold in half and pinch edges to seal in contents.
- In a well-oiled pan, fry on medium until pierogies are golden brown.
- Makes roughly 16 pierogies in all. Serve with fried onions, shredded cheese and sour cream.
Cheese and Tourtiere Stuffed Pierogies by Evelyn Chartres is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Leave a Reply