This recipe features scallops, crab meat, sautéed mushrooms, and baked covered with mozzarella cheese until it comes out golden brown.
- 8 ounces (225 g) of scallops
- 8 ounces (225 g) of crab meat
- 10 fluid ounces (285 ml) can of sliced mushrooms
- 5 tablespoons (75 ml) of butter (divided)
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) of flour
- 2 cups (470 ml) of milk
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) of chopped onions
- 2 to 6 cloves of garlic (approx. 9 g) crushed
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) of pepper (divided)
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) of salt
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) of cumin
- 3 ounces (90 g) of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Melt 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of butter in a pan on medium heat. Add scallops, salt, pepper and garlic then sauté scallops until meat is white and tender. When cooked, drain and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of butter in a pan on medium heat. Add mushrooms and cumin then sauté until mushrooms begin to brown. Add onions and sauté until mushrooms are golden brown. When done, drain then set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons (30 ml) in a saucepan on medium heat. Pull from heat source, mix in flour. Pour in cold milk and mix.
- Replace on heat source and stir constantly until the sauce thickens. This process takes approximately 8 – 10 minutes.
- Add in the scallops, mushrooms and crab meat.
- Pour into individual stoneware dishes (one for each portion) then cover in shredded mozzarella. Place in the oven until the surface browns (approximately 5 – 10 minutes). Comes out ready to serve.
- Makes approximately six ¾ (180 ml) cup portions.
Coquilles Saint-Jacques by Evelyn Chartres is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.