Also known as Chicken à la King is one of my go-to recipes, that I can cobble together in under 45 minutes. While this meal is traditionally served on toasted garlic bread, I often serve it atop some rice as shown.
- 1 pound (450 g) of boneless chicken breast
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) of butter
- 10 fluid ounces (285 ml) of sliced mushrooms
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) of cumin
- 2 cloves (5-10 mg) of garlic pressed (Optional)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) of flour
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) of salt
- ⅛ teaspoon (0.75 ml) of pepper
- 14 fluid ounces (435 ml) of chicken broth
- ½ cup (120 ml) of cream
- 1 cup (235 ml) of peas
- Cook chicken according to taste, I use an outdoor grill and sprinkle with a light seasoning like Mrs Dash. Once cooked, cut chicken into approximately ½ inch (1.25 cm) cubes.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan (1.4 quarts or 1.3 litres) over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and cumin then sauté until browned.
- (Optional) Add garlic and sauté for about a minute.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper; whisk until smooth.
- Add in chicken broth and cream then stir constantly until sauce thickens.
- Add chicken and peas, heat throughout.
- Ready to serve on rice or toasted garlic bread.