A straight-forward ready-to-serve recipe. Made with chicken breast, long-grain rice, vegetable medley and spices this meal offers it all.
Guests often opt to eat this meal with a bit of Ranch dressing to complement the spiced chicken and rice.
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of cumin
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) of turmeric
- 1 pound (450 g) of boneless, skinless chicken breast (halved)
- 1½ cups (355 ml) of frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 garlic cloves (5-10 mg) pressed
- 6 ounces (180 mg) of long grain rice
- 2 cups of (470 ml) of chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of curry
- ¼ cup (60 ml) of sliced almonds (roasted)
- Combine the first five ingredients in a small bowl.
- Halve and pat dry chicken. Rub combined ingredients on both sides of the chicken. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Oil a large skillet and over medium-heat add chicken. Cook each side until browned. Remove chicken from heat.
- Place mixed vegetables on the skillet for 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and rice to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes while stirring frequently.
- Place curry and broth into the skillet. Bring to a boil.
- Place in a large baking dish then even out the rice and vegetables. Add in chicken, cover in aluminium foil and place in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, remove aluminium foil, ensure meat is no longer pink at the centre.
- Optionally top the dish with roasted sliced almonds.
- Can be served with a side dish of Ranch dressing to complement the chicken and rice.Ranch dressing to complement the chicken and rice.
Indian-Spiced Chicken with Rice and Vegetables by Evelyn Chartres is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Leave a Reply