Ground beef and macaroni with a pasta sauce is pretty much a staple of Canadian cooking. There also seems to be no end in sight for variants and it’s readily available in stores.
This variant is quick and easy to make. I also add some melted shredded cheese on top using an oven. While I use a four-cheese or Portobello mushroom pasta sauce, any variant that catches your eye will do!
- 8 ounces (225 g) of elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of butter
- 1 pound (450 g) of ground beef
- ¼ cup (60 ml) of finely chopped onions
- ¼ cup (60 ml) of finely chopped roasted red peppers
- 2 cloves (5-10 mg) of pressed garlic
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of Italian Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) of salt
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) of pepper
- 22 fluid ounces (650 ml) of pasta sauce
- ¼ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese (per portion)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Prepare macaroni under package instructions.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add beef, onions, red peppers, garlic and seasoning.
- Cook until the meat is no longer pink, then drain the drippings.
- Return to the heating element before adding pasta sauce and macaroni. Simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Place a portion in a stoneware dish then cover in shredded cheese. Place in the oven on Broil for 15 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.