Ground beef and macaroni with a pasta sauce is pretty much a staple of Canadian cooking. There is also seems to be no end in sight for variants on this particular dish and it is readily available in stores.
This variant is quick and easy to make. I use melt some shredded cheese on top using an oven. While I use a four-cheese or Portobello mushroom pasta sauce, any variants that catch your eye will do!
- 8 ounces (225 g) of elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of butter
- 1 pound (450 g) of ground beef
- ¼ cup (60 ml) of finely chopped onions
- ¼ cup (60 ml) of finely chopped roasted red peppers
- 2 cloves (5-10 mg) of pressed garlic
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of Italian Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) of salt
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) of pepper
- 22 fluid ounces (650 ml) of pasta sauce
- ¼ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese (per portion)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Prepare macaroni in accordance with package instructions.
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat.
- Add beef, onions, red peppers, garlic and seasoning.
- Cook until meat is no longer pink, then drain meat.
- Return to heating element then add pasta sauce and macaroni. Simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Place a portion in a stoneware dish then cover in shredded cheese. Place in the oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.