Quiche has its origins in French cuisine and has many variants. This one fuses crab, spinach, egg whites and cheddar cheese to create a tasty meal! This recipe can be made from either fresh or canned ingredients. I keep the ingredients on hand to make this meal on short notice.
- 6 ounces (170 g or 120 g drained) of flaked crab meat
- 5 ounces (140 g) of chopped spinach
- 2 ounces (55 g) of finely chopped onions
- 3 ounces (85 g) of shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 large egg whites or 1 cup (225 ml)
- 12 fluid ounces (350 ml) of evaporated milk
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) of Herbes de Provence or Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon (2.5. ml) of salt
- 1 x 9 inch (22 cm) deep-dish pie crust
- Pre-heat the oven at 350°F (175°C).
- Line bottom of pie crust with crabmeat.
- Reserve 1 ounce (30 g) of cheese for later. Mix spinach, onions, and cheese then line over crabmeat.
- Blend egg whites, milk and seasoning. Pour over the pie, allow it to settle.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese, and broil for 5 minutes, or until the centre is firm.
- Remove from the oven, let stand for another 5-10 minutes before serving.
Cheese and Crab Quiche by Evelyn Chartres is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Leave a Reply