There are several reasons to generate a clean EPUB.
- Consistency. Consistent styles to maintain the same look and feel across platforms.
- Simplicity. With fewer interactions between CSS styles, changes are easier to implement and track.
- Human readable. Easy to find chapters, sections and styles.
- Convertible. Simple styles lend to consistent conversions between formats. Creates Microsoft Word documents with fewer embedded Styles.
Of course, there are disadvantages.
- Investment. Generating documents requires time and effort. However, since the the styles are reusable, the level of effort for future releases is reduced.
- Technical knowledge. This requires more than a passing familiarity with Markdown, XHTML, CSS, and Calibre. However, there is pleny of documentation available online to help.
While the disadvantages can dissuade people from experimenting with this capability, I found it simplified my eBook submission process. I can target Draft2Digital, Google Play, and Amazon Kindle, using one EPUB, and maintain advanced formatting like realistic text messaging throughout.(more…)