Don’t let the ingredients list deter you. This dish is quick and easy to prepare. It makes for a flavourful and spicy chicken dish that is sure to leave a smile on your face.
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of curry
- 4 teaspoons (20 ml) of cumin
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of coriander
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of cardamom
- ⅔ teaspoon (3.34 ml) of cinnamon
- ⅓ teaspoon (1.67 ml) of cloves
- ⅓ teaspoon (1.67 ml) of nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml ) of pepper (divided)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of salt
- 1½ pounds (675 g) of boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ cup (60 ml) of butter
- ½ cup (60 ml) of finely chopped onions
- 2 cloves (5-10 g) of pressed garlic
- 14 fluid ounces (398 ml) of coconut milk
- 5.5 fluid ounces (160 ml) of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of honey (optional)
- In a small bowl, mix spices (from curry to nutmeg), including 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of pepper. Set aside.
- Salt and pepper chicken. On medium-high heat over a well-oiled pan, fry chicken until outside is seared. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt butter in a 3 quart (2.8L) saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic to the pan. Sauté until the onions are transparent.
- Add bowl of spices, and stir until the contents take on the consistency of paste.
- Add coconut milk, and tomato paste. Mix until you have a consistent finish and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken and bring to a simmer on low. Simmer for about an hour, or until the chicken begins to break apart.
- If the dish is too spicy, add a bit of honey to temper the spice.
- Serve with brown Basmati rice and vegetable of choice.